On Sunday 19 September 2004 06:42 pm, Tom & Karen Pino wrote:
> Hello,
> I am Tom Pino, a ranchhand in S.E. Montana.  I just joined this list as
> I have been interested in Linux for several years but just don't have
> the balls.
>
> My son on the other hand bought a new computer that is supposed to be
> Linux friendly.  Had no OS installed.  Was tested with XP and then
> formatted.
>
> He installed Mandrake 9.1 (from a "power pack").  Had no trouble using
> the mouse during setup.  When rebooted and the login page came up the
> mouse froze.  Getting through the log in with out the mouse it is still
> frozen.  Will respond in no way or direction.
>
> Mouse is Mitsumi Optical Wheel (PS2)
> Mother Board is Asus A7VSX-X
> AMD FI XP2400 2gig chip
> Mandrake 9.1 kernal 2.4.21
>
> I don't know any more about his box than that but can call and get more
> info.
>
> I sent him a HD with 98SE on it hopping that he could get on line and
> straighten this out and it has been a real circus because the thing is
> having trouble with the modem and then today with the printer.  Typical
> MS crap.
>
> Thanks,
> Tom

    I had similar problems with 10.0 and I think the problem may have also
been there on 9.1 and 9.2, can't remember for shure that was a while ago.
  I found that if I did not move the mouse at all from the time bootup started
until the login screen was fully displayed the problem would not appear at
all if I did move the mouse to soon the problem would be intermittant. I
don't know if that will work for your son but it is so easy it is worth a
try.

Marc