H.J.Bathoorn wrote:
On Tuesday 21 September 2004 05:27, Lanman wrote:

Just out of curiosity, how do I determine which USB device port it's
attached to? USBview had lots of info about the unit, but doesn't
clearly state the device settings to use, - ie; it doesn't say anything
about which device to assign for the IRDA to USB bridge like
"proc/dev/usb/???", so i can't accurately point it to a spcific port
designation.

Don't know about this specific device but, when hooking up any new usb device I always have a konsole open with "tail -f /var/log/messages" running.
That way I can see where it's getting connected....errr, most of the time:)

Well,...Here's what I got from the tail command;

Sep 21 08:49:33 daboss kernel: usb 1-1: USB disconnect, address 3
Sep 21 08:49:47 daboss kernel: ohci_hcd 0000:00:03.0: wakeup
Sep 21 08:49:48 daboss kernel: usb 1-1: new full speed USB device using address 4
Sep 21 08:49:48 daboss kernel: SigmaTel STIr4200 IRDA/USB found at address 4, Vendor: 66f, Product: 4200
Sep 21 08:49:48 daboss kernel: IrDA: Registered SigmaTel device irda0

This was displayed after removing and re-connecting the IRDA dongle, but how do I interpret the information into a specific path to a device - ie; /proc/bus/usb/device port and address?

I'd like to be able to assign a specific address to this thing if possible. Can you tell I'm not big on USB? Grin!

--
Lanman
Registered Linux User #190712