On Tuesday 12 October 2004 13:38, Keith Powell wrote:
> I'm lost!!
>
> I want to go broadband, and the ISP gives me the choice of two modems in
> their broadband pack:
>
> Voyager 105 USB Modem
>
> or
>
> A220 PCI Modem (internal?)
>
> The Mandrake hardware database does not list either.
>
> Any advice on either of these, please? Will either work with Mandrake?
>
> Would I be better off going to a computer shop and buying a different
> modem? If so, what would you recommend?
>
> I am running Mandrake 10.0
>
> Many thanks
>
> Keith

Keith
The Voyager is not supported by Linux

The A220 **MAY** be supported if it uses the Conexant chip set, but the
Conexant driver is closed source and a right **PIG** to get working. (I've
been there and got the T shirt)

I think you will have to get a different modem.
Alcatel Speedtouch USB **does** work with Mandrake although a number of people
seem to have had trouble with it, it works for me.  (2.4 kernel only)

An Ethernet modem or router will give you least trouble. Here is one I intend
to install in my sons student house
SMC7204BRA
http://www.nickknows.com/en-gb/dept_376.html

If you have other computers in the house, there are quite good deals on 3Com
54Mbps wireless DSL routers at Dabs.com at the moment.

Which ISP are you using? If you go to www.adslguide.org  you can compare ISPs
Plusnet are getting very good reviews at the moment, while Pipex offer free
install and a free Alcatel modem.

derek

--
www.jennings.homelinux.net