Anne Wilson wrote:
On Saturday 16 Oct 2004 17:17, Lanman wrote:

Does anyone have some constructive suggestions other than replacing the
hardware? Like I mentioned earlier both have a version of Mandrake
installed and have been running for some time on 9.2 or 9.1, so hardware
shouldn't be the issue. I've re-burned the CD's for 10.0 and 10.1 and
I've run the MD5sum on the finished CD's - which checked out fine.

Have you tried booting from CD2? There was a suggestion that CD1 and CD2 had different boot setups, and the CD2 was better suited to older hardware. I don't know the truth of this, but.....

Anne

Yup! Each time I've made any single change, I've tried both CD's 1 & 2, and I've tried a text version and using the 'noapic nolapic' options from a text console. Same problem. I could understand it if this was related to one system, but two systems with different motherboards and relatively different hardware? This is definitely strange. I've even tried Mandrake 9.2 the same way as the other versions and I get the same problems or results.

Go Figure!

The strange thing is that one of these systems was working 2 hours ago - running and working (the ECS-based 650 Duron system), but when we rebooted it, Lilo couldn't find the kernels in the boot directory. I've been unable to rescue Lilo since the system fails or freezes before the rescue system can finish booting and/or launching due to a kernel panic or freeze.

--
Lanman
Registered Linux User #190712