Lyvim Xaphir wrote:
On Sat, 2004-10-16 at 12:17, Lanman wrote:

I've been seeing some strange activity going when trying to install Mandrake 10.0 or 10.1CE on a few older systems and I was wondering if anyone here had seen the same thing?

Both systems are running AMD CPU's, and had previously had Mandrake 9.2 on them. When attempting to start an install from 10.0 or 10.1CE, the systems both boot from the CD, but both of them either freeze before the first install panel pops up or fail for no apparent reason after pressing Enter, or manually setting 'linux noapic nolapic' from the 'F1' boot options console.

The console screen is replaced by very dark blue screen (as if the installer couldn't load the first graphics panel where you would select the keyboard layout.

In some cases, I've had partial success in getting to the International screen by adjusting P'n'P or APM options in the BIOS of either system, but once a keyboard layout is selected, the system shows me that same dark blue screen.

I've had almost the exact same experience with mdk10 on an FIC AU13
system board with a Crush 18G Nforce2 chipset.  Juggling the acpi
options helped but still wouldn't allow installation.  It seemed related
to SATA on the mobo.  9.2 went in, 10 official did not.

I've tried both systems with different AGP cards and I've run full memtests on both. I've updated the BIOS on both and still no joy.

If you have Nforce you are going down a dead end road; it's a mobo
related problem. (if not it's something else, but still probably mobo
related) 9.2 will install on Nforce mobos, 10 generally will not. I
hope that 10.1 has not been rushed out the door too fast and that it
will install to this crop of Nforce boards here, but I have not had time
to do a test install and Warly has already submitted the first
"official" 10.1 cds for installation testing.

One is an Asus board (Slot A - K7 Athlon 650Mhz. First generation Athlon), while the other is an ECS - K7VMM board (Socket A - 750Mhz. Duron).

So far, I've been trying AGP cards and I'm currently thinking of slapping in a PCI card to see what happens. On the ECS board, a text mode install shows me the kernel booting, but it freezes at a line which says;

'ESR value before enabling vector: 00000002'

While the Asus board freezes when it's ;

'Calibrating delay loop....' and doesn't even finish the line by displaying the BOGOMips result.

Does anyone have some constructive suggestions other than replacing the hardware? Like I mentioned earlier both have a version of Mandrake installed and have been running for some time on 9.2 or 9.1, so hardware shouldn't be the issue. I've re-burned the CD's for 10.0 and 10.1 and I've run the MD5sum on the finished CD's - which checked out fine.

Hmmmm...you don't have Nforce but the symptoms are looking very similar
to what I was seeing.

The BEST shot you have is to file a ***tload of bug reports on 10.1; right now. You have a slim window of opportunity and I'm not talking
days, I'm talking hours; maybe 42 or 72 or a little more if you're
lucky. In that case you may be able to get these problems corrected in
another set of installation cd's for 10.1. Try it....good luck buddy...

LX

Thanks for the suggestions one and all. I'll get to work on it in an hour or so and let you know if I get it running or not.

--
Lanman
Registered Linux User #190712