Thanks all who answered.

         1. I tried ATZ0 in the Initialization string field in kppp
       and no change.

         2. I tried ATZ4 in the Initialization string field in kppp
       and no change.

         3. I tried "setserial /dev/ttyS1 spd_vhi" and this worked. It
       went from 37333 to 44333 then 45333.

            The only problem with this is I had to set su root to
       perform the command. I would like to put this in my
  .bashrc, but it would not work unless I am root?