On Thursday 30 September 2004 23:22, Andrew Konosky wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I just downloaded the 1st install CD of Mandrake 10.1 community because
> I wanted to try out this distro. I have an old computer that some other
> distros seemed to have some trouble with, but MandrakeMove booted fine
> from CD, so I deciced to try the full OS on it. Since I only installed
> packages from the one CD, the system has very minimal components
> installed. It has defaulted to using IceWM, but I would like to install
> Gnome instead. Also, there are no web browsers installed either! I tried
> installing more software, but the only installation medium I can chose
> is the CD, and when I select Gnome and Mozilla packages, they are not
> installed, yet the program reports the installation/update was a
> success??? I tried updating from the list of ftp servers that it found,
> but I keep getting an error saying that the servers are not conifugred...
>
> Does Mandrake's RPMDrake work similar to Apt-get or similar package
> managers? How do I install new software from online rather than just the
> CD? Is there an Apt repo for mandrake anywhere? Does this require me to
> subscribe to the Mandrake club?
>
> I don't want to pay any money just yet, so thats why I downloaded the
> community ISO version. Then If I like Mandrake, I will contribute & get
> the full version. But I would at least like to try out Mandrake before I
> decide to sign up for the club.

Yes Mandrake does have an online software management system. It is called
urpmi. Read about it on the Twiki (follow my sig)

Like apt-get urpmi allows you to declare multiple online sources and will
automatically locate and install dependencies for you.

Mandrake 10.1 Community does not use the update mirrors. They are intended for
'official'. Updates to Community go into the main tree as they developed and
when it is mature enough the release will go 'official' and updates will then
start going on the update mirrors.

If you go here http://easyurpmi.zarb.org/  You can declare online sources for
'main', 'contrib', and 'plf'  sources.
(PLF are packages that are illegal in some countries)

You can then use the software install GUI to install anything you please, or
by the command line with urpmi.

As time goes on you will find that your local database of available packages
gets out of date.
If you run
urpmi.update -a && urpmi --aito-select
it will refresh your database and automatically upgrade your installed
packages to the latest available.
You will find the Mandrake Update GUI does nothing because that is intended
for 'Official' when packages will be on the update servers.

HTH
derek

--
www.jennings.homelinux.net