On Friday 01 October 2004 12:22 am, Merlin Zener wrote:
| On Fri, 2004-10-01 at 10:16, Erylon Hines wrote:
| > On Thursday 30 September 2004 12:24 am, Merlin Zener wrote:
| > | Hello all,
| > |
| > | I've just got hold of 4 Mandrake 10.0 CDs; I'll be upgrading from 9.0,
| > | and I wanted to ask if there's anything particular I should [or should
| > | not] do to ensure a smooth transition.

| Comments from the gallery, anyone?
|
| --
| Merlin Zener
| Piano, Synthesizer
| Thailand.
|
| "...if my calculations are correct..."

O.K. to carry this further.  Is there any way you can get your hands on a
Knoppix disk?  If you can, boot with it and see if you get connectivity, and
check to see if everything works.  If so, you can completely trash your
system and you will still be able to connect and get help/download what you
need to fix it.
As much as I love Mandrake for its tools and such, it is really a cutting edge
distro and it is generally not as fully functional (ie--things don't always
work) as the Debian-based ones.  Knoppix is Deb based so it is a generation
behind (an oversimplification, but a true statement, IMO) and it is extremely
good at recognizing and setting up hardware.  Stuff just works.  I could cite
examples with my own equipment that Knoppix recognizes and sets up but
Mandrake (including Move and PCLinux OS) doesn't.
This is all my opinion, and Mandrake has been my chosen distro since ver 7.0.
Someday, I'll move to 10--but not yet--and when I do it will go on a couple
of experimental boxes I keep around.  Judging from the list, whether it will
work out of the box will be pretty much a crap shoot--but that is the case
for most Mandrake versions so far.  I had no problems with 8.2 and 9.1--some
users did.  Right now, I think I'm waiting for 10.2, and then I'll do a clean
install.
Since you are having some apparently insurmountable problems with Mozilla
maybe a new install of 10 is what you need to do.  If it doesn't work and you
can't solve the problems, you can always reformat and re-install 9.0.  I have
friends that are still using 8.x, because it "just works", so if 9.0 works,
who cares if you are a few generations behind.  (I'm assuming that 9 worked
for you from its original installation).

Good luck