Hello,

I'm helping my friend Kurt Ritchie who recently switched to Linux.
( His Linux switch story is here:
http://mark.stosberg.com/Tech/linux_switch/ritchie.html ).

I recently gave him my 10.0 CD set as I anticipate the new release
coming out.

So here's the 9.2 -> 10.0 upgrade problem I'm trying to troubleshoot:

Launching some games, like Maelstrom, now completely freezes the machine,
when it didn't before. The cursor quit moving, and the keyboard
completely quit responding. (Pressing "Caps Lock" doesn't even turn
on the Cap Lock light).

I tried capturing the output of the launch in a file:

Maelstrom 2>&1 >file.txt

After the necessary hard reboot, my "file.txt" isn't created.

I tried using both 2.4 and 2.6 kernels with the same result.

What else could cause something like this?

There is one thing that is a little unusual about the machine: It was
200Mhz processor that I used a special upgrade kit to allow to take a
700Mhz processor. That has worked great, and has not been responsible for
any problems that I've aware of.

I checked the ChangeLog for Maelstrom and didn't see anything unusual
around the 9.2 -> 10.0 releases. Considering that other games have
the problem, I imagine it's something more general.

If you have ideas about the general direction I could look in, that
would be appreciated!

        Thanks!

        Mark