et wrote:

> On Sunday 03 October 2004 22:20, Mark Stosberg wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I'm helping my friend Kurt Ritchie who recently switched to Linux.
>> ( His Linux switch story is here:
>> http://mark.stosberg.com/Tech/linux_switch/ritchie.html ).
>>
>> I recently gave him my 10.0 CD set as I anticipate the new release
>> coming out.
>>
>> So here's the 9.2 -> 10.0 upgrade problem I'm trying to troubleshoot:
>>
>> Launching some games, like Maelstrom, now completely freezes the machine,
>> when it didn't before. The cursor quit moving, and the keyboard
>> completely quit responding. (Pressing "Caps Lock" doesn't even turn
>> on the Cap Lock light).
>>
>> I tried capturing the output of the launch in a file:
>>
>> Maelstrom 2>&1 >file.txt
>>
>> After the necessary hard reboot, my "file.txt" isn't created.
>>
>> I tried using both 2.4 and 2.6 kernels with the same result.
>>
>> What else could cause something like this?
>>
>> There is one thing that is a little unusual about the machine: It was
>> 200Mhz processor that I used a special upgrade kit to allow to take a
>> 700Mhz processor. That has worked great, and has not been responsible for
>> any problems that I've aware of.
>>
>> I checked the ChangeLog for Maelstrom and didn't see anything unusual
>> around the 9.2 -> 10.0 releases. Considering that other games have
>> the problem, I imagine it's something more general.
>>
>> If you have ideas about the general direction I could look in, that
>> would be appreciated!
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> Mark
> what video card? NVidia? download matching kernel source (to what ever
> kernel you are booting) and the respective NVidia *.run installer from
> NVidia to update the video to match the updated kernel
> might want the open GL files etc....

I found out the Video card is an NVidia Riva 128. This video card does not
need special Nvidia drivers or kernel modules, and should be supported by
the default "nv_drv" driver for X.

Since I don't recall fussing with Nvidia drivers where I did the 9.2
install, this makes sense.

Are there other things I could be looking for that might cause this kind of
freeze?

Thanks again!

    Mark