Hi,

I would like to install the 10.1 release of Mandrake on my new notebook. I would
like to partition my HD so I will not have to format partition with my data
each time I try to fully reinstall linux distribution.

My question is, how I should partition my HD and what directories should be on
which partition?

I was thinking about something like:

Partition  |  Mount       | Size GB | Contents
-----------+--------------+---------+------------------------------
Root       |    /         |    5    | /boot, /etc, /usr, /var, ...
Data       |    /mnt/disk |  ~65    | /home, /usr/local, /tmp
Windows    |    /mnt/win  |   10    |
Swap       |    swap      |    0.5  |

More questions:

- Do I need to have /usr on a root partition?
- What FS would you recommend? Is it possible to have / as ext2/3 and /mnt/disk
as reiserfs?

The station is meant to be mainly desktop/development machine.

Currently I am Debian user.

Thanks,

Stefan
--