Hello Anne, Bascule and Derek (in alphabetical order!!!)

Thank you very much for your replies and all the detailed information you have
given me. I really do appreciate it, as broadband is completely "uncharted
territory" for me. What an excellent and helpful list this is.

I have had some jobs to do in the house this morning, but this afternon I will
try to have a session at getting broadband set up (hopefully!)

To comment on certain points you have all raised.

Anne, thank you also for the offer of helping me if I have SMC settings
trouble. I hope that I won't, but will contact you if I do. My ISP has given
me some settings to use. I didn't mention it in my original posting, but the
PCI card manual says that the set-up CD must be run *before* the card is
installed. So I wondered if Mandrake would find the card, but then I would
have to unplug the card again, run SMC's Windows installation program and
then plug the card back in, before I could use it with Windows. Very
complicated. That is why I asked about setting it up in Windows first.

Bascule, you say that you will be gobsmacked if I have any problems. Knowing
my luck, I will be gobsmacked if I don't!

Derek, I thought about the ebuyer router, but wondered if it worked well with
Linux. It probably did, but I didn't want to risk it and decided on the SMC
which is known to work. The changeover needs to be as painless as possible. I
have got some microfilters, but thanks for mentioning them. I hope that I
won't need to buy a crossover cable, as the nearest PC World is a 30 minute
car ride away. We only have one computer shop round here, and I would rather
not comment on it. I went in once!

Thank you all again for all the help.

Cheers

Keith