Ever since I went to 10, now 10.1, same issue, on bootup eth0 shows as failed, yet a few lines later when it does a time check it succeeds, and when I log in the network is up and running. I seem to recall others mentioned the same thing when 10 came out. Are you sure that it isn't just slow to initialize?

ED

BTW: your reply:to address is set and so any answers you get don't post to the news list

David Johnson wrote:
I'm having an issue with a machine that I just built using ml10.0
where eth0 shows as having [Failed] the initialization at boot time,
but if I su to root after boot and do an 'ifup eth0' it comes up with
no problem.

Can anyone explain why this might be happening and how to fix it?

Thanks