On Thursday 21 Oct 2004 16:50, David Johnson wrote:
> Maybe I should qualify my previous statements.  After boot, ifconfig
> indeed, shows that ETH0 is UP, however it does not get an IP address
> from the DHCP server.

Is that a local dchp server, or your isp?

> I have not yet tried it with a static IP
> address.  In order for me to do any network communication, I must su
> to root and execute an 'ifup eth0' in order for it to get an ip
> address.
>
> This is definately not a huge issue, especially since this is a play
> machine for me, but it is annoying nonetheles.
>
> As for my replyto: address, what should it be set for?

For mailing lists it should be set to blank.  It is often a good idea to have
a new 'account' or profile set up for the mailing lists if you like to keep
the reply-to for others.  It's usually not necessary, though.  Hitting Reply
in almost any mail client would direct the mail to you by default.

Not all lists do it, but Mandrake lists set to reply to the list if you leave
yours blank.  If you don't the others on the list will not see replies, and
it makes following threads and troubleshooting much harder.

Anne
--
Registered Linux User No.293302