Is there a HOWTO on the basic file types, and where certain types are located
ie: as in *.DOC is a document, *.INI is an initialization file located in the
Windows SUB-DIR.
I guess what I would like is to understand the why's/where's of the file
structure and naming convention's of Linux.  Maybe knowing what is what will
allow me to get a better grip on Linux.  As I see it, when I install a new
program, unless it creates a link TO the file in a menu, I have NO clue where
it ends up on the HD.  Only using the FIND FILE can I try to narrow it down,
and even then I can't always find them...:(
Sorry to be long winded, but as a newbie, I am sure other's have similar
problems, and understanding them might make it easier on me/us.
TIA
Jaguar

http://webmail.netscape.com.