Today at 08:39, David Johnson wrote:
> For my next question:  I'm wondering how uptime keeps track of how
> long the server has been running.  The reason I ask is that I have a
> couple of ML10 boxes running in a production environment on VMWare ESX
> servers.  These servers never REALLY know how long they have been up.
> They always report times that are different from reality (usually
> shorter than actual uptime) when I know that they have not rebooted (a
> check of the logs will verify).
> Certainly not a major problem, but I'm curious...

As far as I know, /proc/uptime is the place where the uptime is kept.
If you cat /proc/uptime repeatedly you can see that it's a running
timer. The program /usr/bin/uptime just reads /proc/uptime, converting
it to a human readable format.
        I have no idea why your ML10 boxes don't keep accurate uptimes.
Maybe someone else can offer an idea.

--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen,
Russ.

Should we continue to trust Bush as our leader? Read this, then you  decide:
    http://www.capitolhillblue.com/artman/publish/article_4636.shtml

----------------------=====[Russell's Quotes 1]=====----------------------

 Man's tongue is soft, and bone doth lack;
 Yet a stroke therewith may break a man's back.

--------------------=====[Russell's Quotes 2]=====------------------------

 ``I do not believe in the creed professed by the Jewish church, by the
 Roman church, by the Greek church, by the Turkish church, by the
 Protestant church, nor by any church that I know of....Each of those
 churches accuse the other of unbelief; and of my own part, I disbelieve
 them all.''
 --Thomas Paine
 To Paine belongs the honor of naming our country the United States of
 America. He was the first to use the name in print, and it was his own
 creation.

                    http://www.TruthAboutWar.org
  What is freedom, really? See this great flash presentation:
             http://www.isil.org/resources/introduction.swf