On Tuesday 26 October 2004 04:56 am, Adolfo Bello wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-10-26 at 10:18 +0100, John Richard Smith wrote:
> > Then, making sure the CD you just burned isn't mounted:
> >
> > in terminal,
> > dd if=/dev/scd0 bs=2048 count=n | md5sum -
> > (note the  " - "  on the end, don't leave it off.
> >
> > change the /dev/scd0 to whatever device setting your
> > drive is on your system.
> > and where   n   is the number of sectors calculated above.
> >
> > All 3  md5sums should agree,
> > ie, the published, your iso file, and the CD.
> > If they don't agree you have either a duff write,
> > or duff iso file.
> >
> > Hope this helps you,
> >
> > John
>
> `md5sum /dev/scd0` works fine here, no matter if the CD is
> mounted or not.
>
> Adolfo

      Yes, but in newer Mandrake versions the CD drives are seen
as dev=ATA:0,0,0   I use 0,0,0 for example only,
'cdrecord dev=ATA -scanbus'  will return the actual numbers.  The
ATA device (burner) is linked to the numbers. EG, on my system
dev=ATA:1,1,0  => /dev/hdd     So 'md5sum /dev/hdd' returns the
md5sum on the CD.

     BUT, it will not be correct unless you use the -dao option
when burning the iso to CD.  I burn on the CL using,
'cdrecord -v -eject driveropts=burnfree speed=16 dev=ATA:1,1,0
-dao  <name_of.iso>'   _Do_Not_ use options like -pad or -data.
For speed I suggest 1/3 of the lesser capability, your burner or
media speed.  My Plextor is 52x, media is 52x, so I use speed=16

    Actually I use an alias,
alias biso='cdrecord -v -eject driveropts=burnfree speed=16
dev=ATA:1,1,0 -dao'

    So simply 'biso <name_of.iso>' does the job!  ... and I always
check the md5sum of the burned CD.  As always, I disdain the use
of GUI apps for burning any kind of CD's, but particularly
for .iso images. Use the CL and you'll know exactly what is going
on. Y'allsMMV  ;)
--
      Tom Brinkman                 Corpus Christi, Texas
               Proud to be an American