Greg Meyer wrote:
On Thursday 28 October 2004 02:22 am, Graham Watkins wrote:

Well, why?

In the past I've mostly used Star Office 5.2 which while it doesn't go
at the speed of light, leaves Open Office 1.1 standing.

(Snipped)

Is everyone else here having the same experience?

How do you cope?

(Snipped again)

What you are experiencing is not normal and sounds like a configuration issue of some kind. Can you make another user on your box and try to start it there? Are you using Mandrake packages of OO.o or the binary installer provided by OO.o?

Just tried running under root (yes, I know I shouldn't) and it was much faster. Then tried starting it as me using xfce4 which is less of a memory hog - such a slow opening I wondered for a while if it had crashed. Looks like you may have something with the configuration problem idea. I'm using mandrake binaries which came with the original installation.

Cheers,