On Monday 08 November 2004 02:04, Eric Scott wrote:
> On Sunday 07 November 2004 17:53, H.J.Bathoorn wrote:
> > On Monday 08 November 2004 00:32, Eric Scott wrote:
> > > Well sharing home direcories won't help me.  I need the html directory.
> >
> > So what are you trying to share?
> >
> > /var/www/html sounds more like a webserver to me....which could be
> > reached by:"http://adres_of_your_box_here:80"; depending on what webserver
> > software you're running, or from where you're connecting from if you've
> > got a firewall......don't need any sharing there!
>
> Right, I'm trying to share the web server directory read/write for easy
> remote website editing.  It seems like it'd be much more convenient over
> NFS than FTP or SCP.  If you've got a better idea I'm open for tips.  My
> I-net connection has like a 4k upload rate, and editing over SSH/VNC is
> starting to become a real chore.  I just got FTP running though, which I
> will need for a few clients, and can live with it for the present, but as a
> web host administrator I'd like to have NFS access to the entire http
> server directory.
>       Thanx,
>                ES

Well frankly, I've not discovered a better way than "ssh" yet.

There might be a slight speed gain over NOT_encrypting but that surely doesn't
weigh up to the security ssh gives.

Don't try to use vnc at those speeds...it's just too damn slow, as actualy all
X-forwarding is too!
Get used to the commandline and you'll be administrating at a lot lower speed
if need be:)
Another speed gain would/could also be keeping a mirrored copy of your remote
websites locally and then using "rsync" to keep them updated (in sync) -- be
it in secure_mode or not.....but that would be a different thread;)

NFS is certainly NOT the way to go for easy/fast web maintainance, that was
meant for local (LAN) stuff.
--
Good luck,
HarM