On Tuesday 09 November 2004 05:09, geoff wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-11-09 at 14:50, Stephen Kühn wrote:
> > On Tue, 2004-11-09 at 15:28, geoff wrote:
> > > that you can't open .exe files in linux? I downloaded BitTorrent
> > > and was hoping to run  it to download stuff but it is a .exe file.
> > > Any help please
> > > Newbie
> >
> > Y'know yer running linux, right?
> >
> > Binary files (.EXE files) for MS Windows do NOT run under GNU/linux.
>
> Yes, I am running Linux thankyou.
> I was going to download a distro's ISO and the official site said I
> should first download BitTorrent. It came in as a .exe. Why would it
> give me an exe to download a linux file.
> Confusing. I wouldn't want a distro in windows.
> Thanks
> Newbie

Bittorrent and bittorrent-gui are on your CDs.
Install them with your Mandrake Software Install GUI. Once they are installed
clicking on a torrent link with a browser will automatically download the
target file and run bittorrent-gui.

If you are running a firewall you must open ports 6881 to 6889. If you do not
open these ports you will not be able to upload to other users, and
bittorrent will automatically reduce your download rate. The idea being you
have to share to get the benefit.

derek
--
www.jennings.homelinux.net