>>> "Peter" == Peter Heckert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

[snip]

    Peter> I have problems with threading. Mails made with Netscape
    Peter> and Kmail are threaded fine.  Other Mails created by Emacs
    Peter> or Outlook are not threaded correctly.

[snip]

This may be a result of how mails are created by emacs or Outlook, or
a result of how Netscape determines the parent-child message
relationship. or both.

This is of interest to me because I use xemacs with VM as my mail
reader.  I specifically chose these two since it was the only
combination I discovered which explicitly stated that the References:
header was examined to thread messages.  Other programs were silent on
how threading was implemented or vague or used an unacceptable (to me)
method.

In what way are mails you receive from emacs users "not
threaded correctly"?  Are the emacs users also using VM, or do they
use exmh or something else?

Quoting from the VM User's Manual: "Message relationships are
discovered by examining References, In-Reply-To, and Subject
headers. The first two headers are more reliable sources of
information but not all mailers provide them."
(http://www.wonderworks.com/vm/user-manual/vm_12.html#SEC23)

For a brief description of how VM threads, see
http://www.gnac.com/~hogan/vm/files/rigorous-threads.patch
where an email from Bob Glickstein <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> appears, with
his rigorous threads patch to vm-folder.el.

On what bases do Netscape and Kmail thread?

--
Mike Fieschko, West Orange, NJ, USA
Kernel 2.2.13-29mdk