Hello Mike,

Mike Fieschko wrote:

> [snip]
>
>     Peter> I have problems with threading. Mails made with Netscape
>     Peter> and Kmail are threaded fine.  Other Mails created by Emacs
>     Peter> or Outlook are not threaded correctly.
>
> [snip]
>

> In what way are mails you receive from emacs users "not
> threaded correctly"?  Are the emacs users also using VM, or do they
> use exmh or something else?

Netscape doesnt thread your messages correctly. I had a look to the
headers and cannot find out why. Your headers look fine.
(Couldnt find anybody else posting with VM or Emacs :-)

I did some work to investigate how netscape does threading.
I viewed the headers and looked to the treading and made some
conclusions therefrom.

Netscape ignores the "In-Reply-To" Field.
Netscape uses the "References" Field.
If no "References" are found,then Netscape does threading by
Subject.
If a "Reference"-Field points to a posting,which doesnt contain a
"References" field, or/and doesnt begin with "Re:" in the subject,
then the Reference-field sometimes :-) is ignored.

So Netscape seems to use a mixture of heuristic methods and
"References" threading.

> On what bases do Netscape and Kmail thread?
I myself dont use KMail because it doesnt support IMAP.

I could only find one little difference between VM's headers
and KMail's headers.

Both, VM and KMail produce the "In-Reply-To" field.
KMail lists the "In-Reply-To" field after the "References" field.
VM lists the "In-Reply-To" field first.

The only thing which I can think of, is that netscape is seeing
the "In-Reply-To" field first and then it gives up and ignores
the "References" Field.
This would clearly be a netscape related problem.

Until now I had not time to get involved with emacs,
I'm not an IT-professional and I'm using Linux only after
work at home. It's my passion,not my job.

greetings,

Peter