Dennis Myers wrote:

I am unable to get the Nvidia drivers to work. No splash screen and no acceleration. I have installed the latest from the Nvidia web site and put in 'Load "glx" and "nvidia" in the proper places but get a failed to load the Nvidia kernel or some such. Is there an nvidia-kernel-blahblah for the new drivers or should the old one work? At a loss and any help is appreciated. I am not finding anything on wiki or forums about this so it must be me. : (

Howdy.
At start there are many different problems happening with NVidia drivers:

a)Most common is lacking "nvidia" in "/etc/modprobe.preload";

b)Make sure that glx is loaded, look at "/var/log/XFree86.n.log" for error's description - propably broken symbolic link "/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/libglx.so" not pointing to "libglx.so.1.0.6111" or so;

c)See what version of driver is returned by "glxinfo", if not something like "NVidia" then usually problem lies in incorrect symbolic links "libGL.so", "libGL.so.1", "libGLcore.so" or "libGLcore.so.1" at "/usr/lib" pointing to software driver instead of new nvidia's hardware accelerated. If so then you must find and delete old links and create new like this "ln -s <pathToNVidiaLibGL.so> libGL.so" etc.

All of above happened in my case, hope you will be more lucky ;-)

greets.
RafaÅ Kamraj