On Thursday 11 Nov 2004 22:54, Jack wrote:

> 1 - It never did "see" my Canon D760 copier/printer.

Canon gear is always hard, as they will not cooperate in releasing api
details.  However, it is sometimes possible to get things to work.  Did you
ask any specific questions about this?

> 2 - Couldn't get my nvidia video capture to work, despite help from
> experts like Anne Wilson.

I'm not an expert - just someone who tries to help.  I'm especially not an
expert on nvidia - my one and only nvidia card disappoints me.

> 3 - Couldn't upgrade to KDE 3.3, despite having the CD for it and
> despite help from experts like Randall.  I spent *weeks* on this.
> Nothing I tried worked, nor did any suggestions work.

This is not a task for a newbie.

> 4 - I use voice recognition extensively (Dragon NS and IBM ViaVoice).  I
> don't believe this even exists for Linux.
>
> 5 - Most damning of all was my attempted upgrade to 10.1 official.  I
> completely wiped my drive to do a clean install, and after everything
> was said and done, the official version could not find the internet, nor
> my onboard (Asus P4P800) sound card.

You probably didn't check all the Configuration options late in the install.
There is no reason why those could not have been persuaded to work.

> 10.0 had no trouble finding these 2, nor did the community version of
> 10.1.  Luckily for me, I had imaged the drive beforehand, so I was able
> to go back to 10.1 community.
>
> 6 - I spent the $170 or so bucks to become a silver club member, but not
> once have I received an answer from Mandrake when I found myself stuck.

What questions did you ask, and where?

> I see great potential in Linux and I will maintain my dual-boot system,
> slowly learning to survive in Linux while waiting (and hoping) for the
> operating system to mature to a more usable state...

I may sound harsh, Jack, but you have to realised that
a) you're a newbie, and don't know enough to make things easy
b) you've chosen a bleeding edge distro, so somethings have to be tweaked
until things work correctly
c) you're ambitious (good thing) and try things that you're not ready for
(good, but risky)

Anne
--
Registered Linux User No.293302