On Friday 12 November 2004 16:35, Jack wrote:

> >So, when I see someone complain about Linux not being ready for primetime
> >because it doesn't include something like voice recognition (nice but most
> >people wouldn't classify that as a major necessity),
>
> Bryan, voice recognition saves me *hours and hours* of work in my line
> of business (which is teaching, which is "document-creation" oriented.)

I am being comparitive, just as you were.  Your subject matter was that
Mandrake was not ready for "primetime."  I was merely making the observation
that VR software would not fall into the category of "primetime" in my
lexicon.  In my view, having a secure operating system is a requirement for
"primetime" while having voice recognition software is "not."

YMMV, but I have a feeling, at least from this list, that most Linux users
would be more apt to agree with my assessment.

> Bryan, good post and some valid observations.  If you re-read my initial
> post, you will see that I mentioned that Linux appears to be more
> secure.  However, let me play devil's advocate here.  Is it more secure
> because it is inherently virus/trojan resistant, or is more secure
> because it is being largely ignored by the malicious hacker community?
> I suspect a combination of both.

The first Internet worm that I am aware of that spread in the Wild was the
worm released in 1988 by Robert Tappan Morris.  It was written and did infect
Sun and VMX machines running 4 BSD Unix.  That being said, I don't think that
popularity of OS has much of anything to do with successful virus writing and
targeting compared to the ease of affect of creating a successful virus or
worm.

I do agree that the malicious hacker community appears to be largely ignoring
Linux, however, Unix has been around for longer than Windows, it was also the
first computer system infected by a worm, and many of the same design
features and software are available and working on both Linux and Unix
systems.  They also share some of the same vulnerabilities, such as they are.
In my view, much fewer than for some other OS's that will remain nameless.

That having been said, it seems to me that the malicious virus writing
community is largely ignoring Linux because the effort required to write for
Linux is immense while the likely rewards due to the secure design and rapid
response are low.  They, just like you and I, tend to focus their efforts to
get the biggest bang for their bucks.  Just so happens that a successful
Linux virus would have a huge effect on the Internet, some major
corporations, etc. but it would be extremely difficult to successfully pull
it off and the OS community would likely nullify the effects as soon as it
was discovered.  Thus, the more successful the virus, the shorter lasting it
would be.

I have seen nothing yet to convince me that any virus writer or malicious
hacker would refrain from the opportunity to bring Google down, if they were
able to do so.

> BTW, I appreciate the lack of a "harsh response."  *Open* dialogue
> allows growth.  "Witch hunting" has never been good for intellectual
> growth.

Well, one last point that I would make.  Voice recognition software is a
specialized application that has, at best, a very small audience as its
target.  The same reason that manufacturers ignore Linux might also account
for the dearth of voice recognition software, in general, and especially for
Linux.  Couple to that the fact that much of Linux software is open source
and much of that is free, and you see yet another benefit of Linux that might
account somewhat for the lack of a package.  It might be worth it to you to
accept Digital Rights Management, closed source, proprietary software methods
and other drawbacks of the modern commercial software industry in order to
have VR software that works.

It would not be for most of the people that use Linux.  This does tend to
limit the number of people that might be interested in producing such an
application.  Add to that the general lack of good open source driver support
from hardware manufacturers, including for sound cards, with audio input
capability and you have yet another limiting factor.

We all have to make choices and the nature of choices means sometimes making
sacrifices.  This is probably one of those sacrifices.  If you are as
software agnostic as you have said, then you are probably not in the mood to
make sacrifices in order to gain the (perhaps marginal to you) benefits of
Linux.  But, Open Source is all about choices and if Windows works better for
you, I do not have any personal stake in you using Linux.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and Iâ
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost
--
Bryan Phinney