<snip>

5 - Most damning of all was my attempted upgrade to 10.1 official.  I
completely wiped my drive to do a clean install, and after everything
was said and done, the official version could not find the internet, nor
my onboard (Asus P4P800) sound card.
10.0 had no trouble finding these 2, nor did the community version of
10.1.  Luckily for me, I had imaged the drive beforehand, so I was able
to go back to 10.1 community.

The sound problem you were having was due to either P'n'P, ACPI or APIC settings in the BIOS. I have two Asus P4P800's and had that problem with the first one for about 30 seconds, and not since then. Typically with Asus (AFAIK), all you have to do is to do a default install without changing anything in the BIOS except for the time/date and boot order, and it should work.

When running the install and you get to the section for LILO, don't change the APIC or ACPI settings in there either. If that still doesn't work, try changing them one at a time in the BIOS with a reboot in between each change. Once you're logged in, make sure that your volume settings (in KDE(?)) and/or your speakers are turned up enough and make sure that alsa, arts and sound are enabled in services (in MCC) and also in KDE and then reboot again.

HTH.

--
Lanman
Registered Linux User #190712