Elliot S. wrote:
>     I am of course new to linux, I'm taking a class in which one thing
> we learned was to change the environmental variable of the prompt using
> the line "PS1="  I want my prompt to display my current working
> directory, and the way I did that in the class was add PS1=`pwd`">>" Now
> the class was an older version of the bash shell running out on a
> free-bsd server. I tried to get my prompt on mine at home by adding the
> same line to my .bashrc file in my home directory. It only displays my
> home directory, even when I change into other directories. So can
> someone help with what I'm doing wrong and/or what's different than the
> bash at school, that makes this difficult. I appreciate all the help
> you've given me thus far.
> Thx,
> Elliot
> P.S. I'm running mandrake 10.0 Official.

You can test the prompt and see what eventually you like. for example.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] mike]#  PS1=" \W> "
 mike>
 mike>  PS1=" \w> "
 ~>
 ~> cd /var/log/mail/
 /var/log/mail>

\W = the  basename  of the current working direc­tory
\w = the current working directory

Take a look at this in your browser (if you have howtos installed)

/usr/share/doc/HOWTO/HTML/en/Bash-Prompt/index.html

Or do a google search for BashPrompt howto

Nice howto, I had quite-abit fun with it :-)

Mike