Despite the strong recommendations I've received for Mandrake as a good novice-friendly distro, I've been unable even to get it to install. I'm working with 10.1 Discovery on CD, on a Dell Dimension 2400 with a 2.6GHz P4 and a Samsung SyncMaster 900NF monitor. So far I've encountered the following problems:

- The installer never starts in graphical mode. If I specify low-res graphical mode that works.
- The installer never recognizes my USB devices (keyboards and mice).
- The installer doesn't automatically set up the X environment, so I get an error message and have to go in and do that manually.
- The installer sometimes hangs entirely. Most recently it did this after user account setup.

- When I have completed install successfully, the system won't boot: It hangs at Mounting USB Filesystem. If I hit control-C at that point it proceeds but hangs again a little later, and can't be un-hung.

I'm still searching for that perfect distro to recommend, but this isn't an experience I would want to impose on a novice user. While it's possible I have an unusual configuration, one key thing in an distro for novices has to be excellent hardware support out of the box. Am I missing something obvious here that would solve my problems?

--Dave

David A. Feldman
User Interface Designer
http://InterfaceThis.com