On Sunday 14 November 2004 22:22, Carroll Grigsby wrote:
> > BUT, (a) few users install Windows themselves,
>
> Perhaps not, but sooner or later they do reformat and reinstall --
> sometimes frequently -- often at the suggestion of MS tech support. Perhaps
> 2000 and XP are better in this regard, but it has always been the standard
> fix for the Win9x series.

2000 and XP seem to be a little better in this case, but faaaaaar from
perfect.  PC Magizine still stresses that the only way to keep your computer
relatively bug free... weather or not you're connected to the internet and
have worms/viruses... is to reinstall at LEAST once a year.  I tend to tinker
so much with my systems that I reinstall ten times as often, sometimes
leaving Windows completely off a system for six months until it's needed
again.  But back in the dark days when I was a Windows-only user that had
never installed an OS, I used Windows XP straight for two years on a Pentium
one box @ 233MHz.  It ran fine at first, but by the time I finally upgraded
my computer it took a minute and a half to open the start menu, with 50% of
my memory totally free, and (supposedly) no viruses.  I've never had such a
problem with Linux' performace reducing with time, but it's commonplace in
Windows.  I expect no change in that respect with longhorn;
<rant>
 I heard someplace that to fix this issue Windows would require a complete
rewrite of large sections of their kernel... and since when did Microsoft
care enouh about the world to make such a contribution to computer
performance?  Security? Sure!  With security fixes you can do things like
block competitive software from being installed because it's a "security
issue," but increase performance? How will that help them?  They already have
the market share they want.
</rant>
Neway, that's my 2 cents.

--
Registered Linux user #366862

This message was sent from a Microsoft-Free 750MHz Athlon system running SuSE
Linux 9.1 (Kernel 2.6.5), multi-booted with RedHat 8.0 (Kernel 2.4.18; can't
get Fedora to work!) and Debian 3.0 (Kernel 2.2.20).

"Failure is not an option with Microsoft; it's bundled with the software!"

"A Linux Only area ÂHappy bug hunting M$ clan, The time is here to FORGET
that M$ Corp ever existed the world does not NEED M$ Corp the world hasÂNO USE
for M$ Corp Âit is time to END M$ Corp"
                                -snipped from the signature of Peter Nikolic