On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 04:26, Wojciech Podgórni wrote:
> Hello everyone!
> I've got another hardware question. My brother is considering buying a
> digital camera. My question is - do digital cameras work well with
> Mandrakelinux 10.1 Official? Which one work the best with Linux? What
> applications should I use?
>
> Wojciech Podgórni
>
> PS. I write it from my newly installed Mandrake 10.1 OE. It looks great,
> but I have had some troubles with installing it (particularily with
> userdrake).

Digital cameras used to be a problem, with every manufacturer having their own
control/transfer protocol which the GPhoto project had to reverse engineer.
These days, however, almost all new (quality) cameras have the ability to be
mounted as a USB portable drive, which the industry (or at least Canon)
refers to as PTP (Picture Transfer Protocol).

When checking the spec sheets, look for some mention of PTP, driverless
install, or usb drive or something similar and you are almost guaranteed it
will work.

Otherwise, check out the GPhoto web-site at http://gphoto.org/ for a somewhat
out-dated list of their supported cameras.

>From personal experience, all the new Canon cameras with PTP work perfectly.

For applications, it's hard to go past the latest version of Digikam at
http://digikam.sourceforge.net/Digikam-SPIP/ .  They've just released version
0.7 which is an absolute cracker, but it involves compiling for now.
Hopefully some rpms will be out soon.

John.