On Wednesday 17 November 2004 01:13, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> >> Sorry folks, but I googled this forever and never found a howto basic
> >> enough for my newbieness.  I've never setup a mail server before, and
> >> have
> >> given up on trying to install QMail (If you have any tips, let me know)
> >> on
> >> my Mandrake 9.2 server.  So I've installed Sendmail, and am now stuck as
> >> how to configure it.  Webmin recognizes that it exists. I gather from
> >> the
> >> howtos that I've found that I have to set up a MX record or something or
> >> other... but I haven't found anything to as what this is or how the heck
> >> to set one up.
> >>    Any help?
> >>            Thanx,
> >>            SigmaChi
> >
> > You may want to reconsider this, and use Postfix instead of Sendmail  You
> > can configure it by editing text files, instead of having to use m4 to
> > create a configuration file for Sendmail.
> >
> > Mikkel
>
> I should have specified from the beginning; This is a Mandrake 9.2 SERVER
> that I wish to run a POP3 server on.  To my understanding postfix is just
> SMTP and the like; I have no need for SMTP as the organization
> (www.sipca.org, which domain points to my server) I'm setting up POP3 for
> runs it's own SMTP from it's Microsloth-based network.
> <rant>
> (Which, might I add, has suffered numerous times from virus/worm/adware
> infections in the same time period which my Linux server has been running
> bug-free on the same internet T1 IN FRONT of their firewall and WITHOUT
> it's own.  I was smart enough to enable the firewall last week though...
> if it was a Windows box I'd have been dead long ago.)
> </rant>
>
> >As far as setting up an MX
> > record, this is only something you need to worry about if you have your
> > own domain name, and are getting your mail directly from the Internet,
> > instead of getting them though a your ISP's mail server.
>
> So yeah, basically I do have my own domain name, am getting my mail
> directly from the Internet, and am not using my ISP's mail server.
>       Sorry about the confusion,
>                SigmaChi

Neither Sendmail nor Postfix are POP3 servers. they are both SMTP servers
which will transport mail from your clients to their final destination, and
will receive mail via SMTP from people sending to you.

If you want to fetch mail from POP3  servers and then route it with SMTP, then
you need to stick 'fetchmail' in front of your SMTP server, and if you want
to provide mail to your clients with Pop 3 you will need to install a POP3
server behind your SMTP server. The same packages that do PoP3 also support
IMAP. Examples are 'imap' and 'courier-imap-pop'

>From what you say You already have an SMTP mail server, running on MicroSoft?
But I am not clear what you are trying to achieve with Pop3 Can you provide
more details?

derek

BTW: There is a guide on my homepage showing one example of how to stitch this
all together.
--
www.jennings.homelinux.net
http://twiki.mdklinuxfaq.org