> On Sun, 2004-11-21 at 14:57, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > Ok, apologies for pressing send on my email program too soon (see previous
> > message). And million thanks to everyone who contributed with their ideas.
> >
> > The problem is now solved (wait, there is the next problem). I followed the
> > strategy of disabling services and re-enabling them. Now I found the
> > offending
> > service (or one causing this behavior). That is the good news. The bad news
> > is
> > that it is DEVFSD.
> >
> > Ok, I am an end-user, I am trying to use my Linux box purely as my desktop.
> > Reading the "man" on devfsd left me very confused. Could I just leave
> > devfsd
> off
> > (sounds like not so good idea). Or should I do something about it to get to
> the
> > bottom of it? Any thoughts?
> >
> > Saku
>
> I find it strange that THAT would be the offending party in this saga;
> you could, however, turn the service off and see if it directly affects
> anything that you do as a "desktop" user - as well - being that this is
> merely a client machine (or desktop) are there any other services
> running that you might not need?

I found the following (so someone else had the same problem, with 10.1
Community):
http://quanta.homeip.net/pipermail/linuxr3000/2004-November/000745.html

I did what he did, installed udev (not sure that I need either one of them) and
run that at startup. Everything seems to be working ok. So in case of if anyone
is interested the list of services that I run at startup is: alsa, atd, crond,
cups, hotplug, keytable, kheader, network, ntpd, numlock, partmon, postfix,
rawdevices, shorewall, sound, sshd, syslog, udev, xfsd and xinetd (this
according to drakconf). I think I need all of them: I have my uses for sshd and
postfix. I am not sure that I need rawdevices, but I can live without finding
that out.

Thanks!

Saku