On Wednesday 01 December 2004 21:22, amalasingh wrote:
> Anne/Derek,
>
> Tnx for your responses.
>
> http://10.0.0.2 works fine with Windows.
> First time it looks for user name & password.
> Then we can configure the webstation.
>
> I went to configure hardware and
> selected Ethernet Card. Ran
> Config Tool-> ADSL Connection->DHCP
> etc.
>
> Mozilla says connection refused for 10.0.0.2
> (Strangely this didnt appear for other IPs
> like 196.39.39.3. It just failed resolve the
> IP)
>
> When I rebooted, the message "bringing
> up network interface eth0 failed" appears.
>
> But when I configure eth0 to Lan, it
> does not appear.
>
> My ethernet card shows the following
> details.
> DAVICOM PCI Ethernet 100/10 MBit DM9102
>
> I suspect this is incompatible to the webstation.
>
> If so what sort of ethernet card would
> it accept.
>
> Cheers
> Amala Singh

There is nothing wrong with your Ethernet card.
Your problem is that you are trying to configure it as an ADSL connection.

When you use a router the computer neither knows nor cares that there is a DSL
modem inside the router. As far as the computer is concerned it is just an
ordinary Ethernet connection.

The DSL Connection wizard is there for DSL **modems**.
Your modem is the other side of your router so the computer does not have to
worry about it.

Delete the connection on Eth0 and start again, only this time just declare it
to be a Lan connection.

derek

--
www.jennings.homelinux.net