On Friday 03 December 2004 08:43, Vegard Lundby Rekaa wrote:
> Re: [newbie] Changing hostname
>
> > Actually the statement he needs is
> > NEEDHOSTNAME=no
> >
> > derek
> >
> > --
> > www.jennings.homelinux.net
> > http://twiki.mdklinuxfaq.org
>
> You were quite right Derek.  It was NEEDHOSTNAME wich was ment to be
> configured...
>
> But then again, opening the /etc/hosts file I see this line:
>
> 127.0.0.1               localhost
>
> Where am I going wrong?
>
> Thanks, Vegard

Your mistake is in deleting that line. It is essential.

If you want to set your hostname you must do it by setting the line
HOSTNAME=    in /etc/sysconfig/network, or by GUI in
MandrakeControlCentre>Network>InternetAccess
restart networking with
'service network restart' or by using the GUI in
MandrakeControlCentre>System>Services   for the new hostname to take effect.

derek
--
www.jennings.homelinux.net
http://twiki.mdklinuxfaq.org