On Friday 03 December 2004 11:18 am, Keith Powell wrote:
> I am very pleased that you say the Asus motherboard and the
> on-board Ethernet chipset both work well with Mandrake. I will
> use that, rather than my SMC card.
>
> Why I asked is because, if I remember correctly, there have
> been comments on the list in the past, that there are problems
> with some on-board Ethernet chipsets. I may have mis-remembered
> though. Fortunately those comments don't apply in this
> instance.

    The onboard 3c940 uses the sk98lin driver. This driver did not
work well with the 3c940 in _early_ inceptions, but it should be
fine with Mandrake 10.0 (and newer) and 2.6.x kernels used. I
don't know if current 2.4.x kernels support it.

    I have an Asus A7V600 with the same onboard NIC. At the time,
the sk98lin driver (9.x IIRC) was alpha quality and provided poor
thruput. So I used a d-link NIC I already had. This is no longer
a problem tho, the 3c940 is well supported.  In any event, should
you choose to, the onboard nic can be easily disabled in bios.
--
      Tom Brinkman                 Corpus Christi, Texas
               Proud to be an American