From: "Angus Auld" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [newbie] need help installing 10.1
Date: Sat, 04 Dec 2004 23:26:48 -0300

----- Original Message ----- From: "Anne Wilson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> To: [EMAIL PROTECTED] Subject: Re: [newbie] need help installing 10.1 Date: Sat, 4 Dec 2004 21:10:36 +0000

> On Saturday 04 Dec 2004 21:05, Angus Auld wrote:
> > Greetings,
> > I just got my 10.1 cd's from Cheapbytes, and I am trying to get it
> > installed on my Dell Inspiron. Trouble is, I can't seem to figure out how I
> > can access the option to choose another type of filesystem other than the
> > default ext3.
> >
> > Could someone here give me the lowdown on choosing to install with reisers
> > fs??? I can get a screen where my choice is requested, but when I type in
> > reisers, it just ignores my choice and reverts to default.
> >
> > Help please?
> >
> Have you selected 'Expert' on the partitioning page? I think that as well as
> allowing you to set partition mount names you are also given the choice of
> filesystem. I use ext3 myself, though, so I could be wrong.
>
> Anne
Thanks Anne, I reinstalled, and just allowed the defaults to prevail.
I have installed and used Mandrake through several versions now, but I still find the *expert* install option quite cryptic. :-/
Just confirms my *newbie* status.

I seem to be having a problem with kded sucking up a lot of cpu cycles...upwards of 75% or so. I have disabled kded, but I wonder if I need it for anything.
It may be a bug perhaps, and I haven't done any updating yet.
Anybody note any similar issues with kded?

Best regards.

--Angus

I just installed 10.1 Community Ed with reiserfs without toggling to expert mode. I don't remember exactly what I did. But toggling to expert mode definitely gives you more options. It seems to be straightforward to me.

J.T.