I am also kind of a newbie in Linux, but it seems to me that your
cdrom is not correctly configured/working under Linux, might be worth
checking that out if you're sure that VMWare should boot from CDrom
first.

I don't think VMWare boots from cdrom by default, go in the BIOS
settings when you turn on your VM (usually by pressing F2) and put the
CD on top of the list (usually by pressing +), save, exit, reboot.