On December 6, 2004 00:31, Derek Jennings wrote:
> > > Derek,
> > >
> > > I just bought a slightly newer computer (PIII-533), and it happens to
> > > have a video card that NVidia claims is supported by their latest
> > > driver, a Riva TNT2 64, so I decided to try the "nvidia" driver. I have
> > > been using the "nv" driver, which works fine except for lack of 3D
> > > acceleration (tuxkart gives me about 1 frame every 3 seconds).
> > >
> > > I downloaded the latest driver from the NVidia site. This is 1.0-6629,
> > > whereas your page refers to 1.0-6111. But I followed your instructions
> > > anyway, in case the bug you mentioned was still there. But in
> > > usr/src/nv/nv.c, it appears that PM_SAVE_STATE has already been changed
> > > to PM_SUSPEND_MEM (I can find the latter string but not the former), so
> > > I guess the bug is fixed.
> > >
> > > It compiled and installed without any errors. Only a warning about the
> > > kernel being built with "rivafb" as a module, and that this module
> > > conflicts with
> >
> > Thanks for that info Ron. I'll retire that page now the info is out of
> > date.
> >
> > derek
>
> Hmm.. I tried out the new 6629 version of the Nvidia driver today.
> It compiles OK, but when it starts the splash screen does not go away. I
> had to revert to the 6111 driver again.
>
> derek

Derek,

I reverted to the 6111 driver, applied your patch, followed your instructions,
and it worked like a charm this time. I can finally play tuxkart and tuxracer
(Woohoo!)

I noticed that your nvidia page is still retired (fortunately, I had printed
it out previously). Seems like it's still needed, so perhaps you can pull it
out of retirement.

Also, it seems clear the 6629 driver is broken. You might want to make a note
of that on your page.

Thanks for the help,

--
Ron
ron dot hunterduvar at shaw dot ca

Opinions expressed here are all mine.

"As you know, necessity is the mother of invention.
I don't know who the father is. Remorse, I guess." - Red Green