On Friday 10 December 2004 08:53 am, Keith Powell wrote:
> > In /etc/lilo.conf try editing the append-line, especially the
> > apic thing. Remove it completely or set it to apic=ht or
> > noapic.
> >
> > HTH
> > Kaj Haulrich.
>
> Thanks, Kaj.
>
> apic=off  has solved it.
>
> The append line was already  apic=ht,  so I first changed it to
>  noapic and then  apic=noapic. Neither had any effect.

    For proper and valid kernel parameters give
  kernel-parameters.txt   a thorough read.  You'll need to have
kernel-source installed, as it contains the file.  eg,
/usr/src/linux-2.6.8.1-20mdk/Documentation/kernel-parameters.txt
Or you might Google for the file for your kernel.

    Many of the parameters I see in various ML posts are not valid
(possibly undocumented) and are ignored by the kernel, ie, 'no
effect'.

   APIC, advance programable interrupt control. If your system
works better with 'noapic', then what this really means is you
have non-compliant and/or deficient hardware bordering on the
'designed for windoze' variety.

   Disabling ACPI and/or APIC is best avoided when not absolutely
necessary, to deal with sloppy, sub-standard hardware.  Tho in
fairness, other popular distros do disable them by default.  If
your system can't use these advanced features, don't kid youself
with believing that optimization for i586, i686, or K7, compiling
with PREEMPT and such, will provide any benefit.
--
      Tom Brinkman                 Corpus Christi, Texas
               Proud to be an American