Tom Brinkman wrote:
On Friday 10 December 2004 08:53 am, Keith Powell wrote:

apic=off  has solved it.

The append line was already  apic=ht,  so I first changed it to
noapic and then  apic=noapic. Neither had any effect.

APIC, advance programable interrupt control. If your system works better with 'noapic', then what this really means is you have non-compliant and/or deficient hardware bordering on the 'designed for windoze' variety.

Disabling ACPI and/or APIC is best avoided when not absolutely necessary, to deal with sloppy, sub-standard hardware. Tho in fairness, other popular distros do disable them by default. If your system can't use these advanced features, don't kid youself with believing that optimization for i586, i686, or K7, compiling with PREEMPT and such, will provide any benefit.

This is *very* depressing reading, Tom. It is a new computer which I had built to my own specification, using components which have been recommended by people on this list as working well with Mandrake.

For example, Asus motherboard, Pentium4 processor, NVidia graphics card, and so on.

Are you saying that the recommendations on this list are false?

There is no way that I can afford to change this "substandard hardware" now.

Keith