Anne Wilson wrote:

 On Saturday 25 Dec 2004 23:59, JoeHill wrote:

> On Sat, 25 Dec 2004 22:51:04 +0000
>
> Anne Wilson disseminated the following:
>
>>> Wine is fully capable of executing Win32 viruses, Trojans, and
>>> worms. Don't run Wine as root after it is installed. Then, you
>>> won't hurt the overall Linux system, although you will still be
>>> able to really mess up your user stuff if a virus gets
>>> executed.
>>
>> Is it vulnerable only when actually running a windows program, or
>> vulnerable by the very fact of being there?
>
> IIANM, Windows malware (is there any other kind...?), even run
> under Wine, would have very little if no effect on a Linux system.
> Firstly, it's going to be looking for files/folders/directories
> that do not exist (c:\Windows, \System32, Documents and Settings,
> etc.). Second, it will attempt to run other common
> commands/executables or exploit services which would exist on a Win
> system but not on Linux, like, say...well, all of them ;-)

To do anything at all in a windows program you have to allow things to run, so it seems likely that there is some vulnerability to anything that is within that windows environment. I agree that it may not be as easy as on a pure windows system, but I do feel that there is still a measure of risk, and I'm just trying to quantify it. The linux system, of course, would not be attacked.

 Anne

If you are going to run programs like Word, and have things like macros working, then Visual Basic has to work. Now, how many of the virus are written as VB scripts, and then inbedded in Word documents, or as e-mail attachments... One of the big problems with Outlook has been that it runs these by default. (I hear they fixed this, but I don't run Outlook...) Now, they can not do as much damage as they could on a pure Windows system, but they can still do damage. How much depends on how closly the Wine envirment looks like Windows to running programs, and what you have installed. But Wine has to look like Windows to programs running under it, or the programs will not run. So you have the normal Windows directories, most of the normal .dll files, etc. While the "real" directory tree is not the same, what programs see is. And programs still have to be able to write to this directory structure, or you can not install programs, or do work. So, the better job Wine does of emulating Windows, the more vunerable it is to a Windows virus. So you want to set things up to limit the damage that can be done.

Mikkel
for you are crunchy and taste good with Ketchup!