eric jackson wrote:
On Sat, 01 Jan 2005 01:43:20 +1300, SnapafunFrank <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

mike wrote:

SnapafunFrank wrote:

And while we are on urpmi problems can someone tell me why I cannot
wholly add another media to my list.

I did:

# urpmi.addmedia myrpms file://home/frank/MYRPMS

and :

# urpmi.addmedia -f myrpms file://home/frank/MYRPMS

I get some entries in the /var/lib/urpmi directory but when I do :

# urpmq --list-media

the new media doesn't appear in the list and trying to install the rpms
downloaded to the ~/MYRPMS directory, I get the 'Not found' reply.

I have tried:

# urpmi --update -a

But this did not get my new media added either.

Hopefully I'm missing something 'no-brainer'.

Sorry for jumping in on this thread put I thought to keep the subject
matter relevant.

I just tried adding a local source as you descibed above, and all
turned out well. I used some rpms I downloaded.

Could it possibly be something wrong with the rpms themselves.
I think rpm looks at the rpm's header for info to generate the hdlist.

Maybe download some different rpm's in a new directory and try
adding them as locale source to see if it works.

Mike

I tried by moving or deleting rpms that though they went through before,
this time they kept coming up with errors.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] frank]# urpmi.addmedia -f myrpms /home/frank/MYRPMS/
using different removable device [/dev/hdc] for "Installation CD 2 (x86)"
using different removable device [/dev/hdc] for "Installation CD 1 (x86)"
using different removable device [/dev/hdc] for "Installation CD 4 (x86)"
using different removable device [/dev/hdc] for "Installation CD 3 (x86)"
added medium myrpms
examining synthesis file [/var/lib/urpmi/synthesis.hdlist.Installation
CD 2 (x86).cz]
examining synthesis file [/var/lib/urpmi/synthesis.hdlist.dec04club.cz]
examining synthesis file [/var/lib/urpmi/synthesis.hdlist.dec04updates.cz]
examining synthesis file [/var/lib/urpmi/synthesis.hdlist.Installation
CD 1 (x86).cz]
examining synthesis file [/var/lib/urpmi/synthesis.hdlist.eslrahc.cz]
examining synthesis file [/var/lib/urpmi/synthesis.hdlist.Installation
CD 4 (x86).cz]
examining synthesis file [/var/lib/urpmi/synthesis.hdlist.dec04main.cz]
examining synthesis file [/var/lib/urpmi/synthesis.hdlist.frankplf.cz]
examining synthesis file [/var/lib/urpmi/synthesis.hdlist.updates.cz]
examining synthesis file [/var/lib/urpmi/synthesis.hdlist.Installation
CD 3 (x86).cz]
examining synthesis file [/var/lib/urpmi/synthesis.hdlist.frankupdates.cz]
examining synthesis file [/var/lib/urpmi/synthesis.hdlist.eslrahc10.1.cz]
examining synthesis file [/var/lib/urpmi/synthesis.hdlist.dec04contrib.cz]
reading rpm files from [/home/frank/MYRPMS]
writing list file for medium "myrpms"
building hdlist [/var/lib/urpmi/hdlist.myrpms.cz]
choosing compression method with "gzip -4" for archive
/var/lib/urpmi/hdlist.myrpms.cz
real archive size of /var/lib/urpmi/hdlist.myrpms.cz is 1707821
no info available for package flightgear at
/usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.5/i386-linux-thread-multi/URPM/Build.pm
line 465.

As you can see, when I installed the flightgear package I had no
problems and at that time this directory was a listed media. I simply
did a urpmi.removemedia, deleted some old stuff and then ran into this
problem when I went back to urpmi.addmedia.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] frank]# urpmq --list-media
Installation CD 2 (x86)
frankcontrib
dec04club
dec04updates
frankmain
Installation CD 1 (x86)
eslrahc
Installation CD 4 (x86)
dec04main
frankplf
updates
Installation CD 3 (x86)
frankupdates
main2
eslrahc10.1
rediris
dec04contrib

As you can see - no 'myrpms' media. I have even tried a new directory
with only the latest download ( and successfully installed ) rpm in it.
The same thing is happening. It's driving me nuts. Unless there is a
simple way of getting all my media back up should I scrap the lot and
start again, well, I may as well be back fighting windows as this is the
type of problem I left windows for.

Any other ideas anyone?

Did you try adding "myrpms" using the Software Media Manager? Try that and see if things work better.

Eric Jackson

You need to change this command;

urpmi.addmedia myrpms file://home/frank/MYRPMS

so that it reads like this;

urpmi.addmedia myrpms file:///home/frank/MYRPMS

Urpmi needs to see 2 slashes after the URL descriptor so that it can read it like a URL as well as 1 extra slash which is the leading slash you would normally use when browsing through folders via a CLI.

In other words, "file://" - notated like an HTTP or FTP address, and then the absolute path of the actual folder "/home/frank/MYRPMS" which equals the example noted above.

That's assuming that the folder "MYRPMS" was named using all capital letters, of course.

Also, did you run "genhdlist" inside of that folder? I haven't been following this thread, so I don't know if someone suggested it yet.
In case you don't know, genhdlist will generate the "hdlist.cz" file that urpmi requires.

So, after running genhdlist, your urpmi command will actually look like this;

"urpmi.addmedia myrpms file:///home/frank/MYRPMS with hdlist.cz"

Once you've run the genhdlist command (you must already be inside the MYRPMS folder prior to running the command) the hdlist.cz file will also be kept in the same folder, so your urpmi command must reflect this. If the hdlist.cz file ends up somewhere else, you must substitute the new location in the command.

HTH's

--
Lanman
Registered Linux User #190712