On Sunday 02 January 2005 10:07 am, Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Sunday 02 Jan 2005 18:47, JR wrote:
> > I wish my mother in law used linux :)
>
> Can't you find the one thing that she would *really* love to have, then let
> her 'accidentally' see it?  A little gentle deceit is not really harmful.
> ;-)
>
> Just be sure that you know how to give her everything she normally uses in
> a very familiar way, and tell her she will always be able to get her
> windows back, because it will be dual-boot.
>
> For most people, that means OpenOffice and Mozilla/variants, with Evo if
> they are used to Outlook.  My husband has his own Mandrake box, but rarely
> adventures beyond the kde patience pack, which knocks the socks off the M$
> offerings.  There are some pretty good photo-handling packages these days.
> It's hard to find something that would really stump most people.
>
> Anne

Thanks Anne,

I actually put mandrake 9.2 on their pc when it came out but I didnt really
take a 'holistic' approach to it as I was a newbie myself. She had never used
a computer in her life so the dual boot thing was too confusing for her - she
she couldnt understand what an operating system was, let alone why she needed
two.

She was also taking classes which focused on ms software. At that stage in her
learning even openoffice wasnt familiar enogh for her. She had to follow
pictures in the manual showing the ms office menus.

Mounting of floppy disks was also a serious setback. It might have been
fixable but floppies had to be mounted from the console.

Also the kids had lots of pc games. I hadnt heard of crossover at the time. So
they ended up ignoring linux. And constantly booting into windows.

But you are right, it is easy to make a user of another OS comfortable in
linux, when you know what you're doing. Pairing that with remote
administration would be perfect I think, which is the next thing I'd like to
get into.

Jarlath