On Monday 03 January 2005 19:50, David Reynolds wrote:

> So my question is, how badly have I screwed up? Assuming I *can* get a
> bootdisk to run on Linux, is it possible to do a Windows rescue, overwrite
> that first section with FAT32 again, then copy/edit the /boot sector over
> it? Can your /boot sector for linux even *be* in FAT32?? According to my
> partition table, it still thinks that C: is the "active" partition for boot
> purposes, but somehow linux believes "D:" to be an extended/logical
> partition? How did that occur, when "D:" is now the 'oldest' partition on
> either drive?? partition tables are below if you're morbidly curious....

Sounds to me like you have simply overwritten the MBR bootloader with LILO
from Mandrake which did not detect the Win installation and create a LILO
boot option for it.  You should be able to go into /etc/lilo.conf and create
an option for Windows like this:

other=/dev/hda2
        label="windows"
        table=/dev/hda

Run lilo and then you should get the option to boot into Windows on next boot.

--
Bryan Phinney