Aron Smith wrote:

On Wednesday 05 January 2005 05:28 pm, Aron Smith wrote:

I have an old Compaq Armada here with no CD-ROM by removing the HDD (6Gb)
and u7sing an adapter I was able to install ? Mdk 10.1 on the drive.
After reinstalling the drive I find that I have a problem
Kernel panic : No init found Try passingi nit= optionn to kernel
So what do I do now (oboviously I have reached my level of incompentance

Some more information this is the screen output
md..autorun Done RAMDISK: Compressed image found at block 0 VFS: Mounted root (ext2 filesystem) Red Hat nash version 4.1.12mdk starting Loading jbd.ko module loading ext3.ko module Mounting /proc filesystem Mounting sysfs Creating device files mounting tmpfs on /dev starting udev Creating root device Mounting root filesystem mount: error6 mounting ext3 flags defaults well, retrying without theoption flags mount: error 6 mounting ext3 well, retrying readonly without anyflag mount : error 6mounting ext3 picvotroot: pivot_root(/sysroot,sysroot/intrid) failed:2 umount /intrid/sysfailed :2 umount /intrid/proc failed :2 intrid finished Freeing unused kernel memory : 200k freed Kernel panic: No init found. Try passing init= option to kernel

The problem looks like the root directory is not on the device specified during installation. Let me guess - when you did the install, this drive was not /dev/hda, and now it is. You are going to have to make a couple of changes to make it work. Unless someone has the answers handy, I will have to do a bit of research in the monring, but basicly what you have to do is change the root devices passed to the kernel from /dev/hd?# to /dev/hda# where # is the partition number, and stays the same - only the drive "letter" changes. You will also want to specify "init=/bin/bash" for this boot, untill you can edit /etc/fstab to reflect the changed drive. You will also have to edit /etc/lilo.conf and change the root drive specified there. Make sure you run lilo after making the change, so that the changes take effect. There is a way to do it by putting the drive back in the other machne, but that probably would be just as hard.

One other way would be to get one of the floppy distributions, boot off of it, and go in and make the changes.

Mikkel

for you are crunchy and taste good with Ketchup!