On Thursday 06 January 2005 05:25, Miark wrote:

> > While I can't speak for David, using KMail 1.7 under KDE
> > 3.3.0-5 I could read all of the Scandinavian characters as well
> > as the Euro symbol in your original post (and Anne's). Of
> > course, when Miark joined the thread, the Euro became a n-tuple
> > underline. According to the KMail configuration tool, the
> > us-ascii, iso-8859-1 and utf-8 character sets are installed
> > here.
>
> Would I not already have utf-8 installed by default in 10.1? How
> do I check?
>
> Miark

Well Miark, it seems that Carroll, Larry and David have UTF-8
installed by default.  That surprises me somewhat, because citizens
of English-speaking countries rarely need anything besides
us/uk-ascii....

Maybe it's because Mandrake originated here in Europe where most
nations have more than 24 characters and lots of funny accents
etc.. - So Mandrake installs UTF and some iso-charsets as default ?

Anyway, an easy way to check what charsets are installed is :

Open a browser, i.e. Firefox. Select View -->Character Encoding.

Kaj Haulrich.

--
*sent from a 100% Microsoft-free workstation*
         * http://haulrich.net *