On Thursday 06 Jan 2005 14:33, Stephen Kühn wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-01-06 at 20:41, Anders Lind wrote:
> > Hello friends,
> >
> > I have a question, I might have to go back to W2K for a short period of
> > time because I cannot find a software that is similiar to DVDShrink in
> > Windows for Linux (If somebody has an idea for a program that can do the
> > same thing in Linux I am happy to listen. I can't get DVD::Rip to work
> > properly), anyway at this point I have a partition in Linux called
> > /extra which is /dev/hda8 and if I install W2K och /dev/hda1 and later
> > installation as /extra or whatever.....I presume that this isn't a
> > problem but I would like it confirmed before I do it
> >
> > Cheers
> > Anders
>
> Anders, I'm surprised at you.
> You can't get DVD::Rip to work? Did you download and install all the
> dependencies?
>
> I just finished ripping Speilberg's "Taken" disk one and two (only takes
> a few minutes to rip to disk) - and going to convert to AVI and then to
> SVCD at my leisure.
>
> DVD::Rip is so much better than any of the others - especially MS
> Windows based rippers....
I'd second the request for a linux based program similar to DVD shrink.
I take it Stephen has never used this "ripper", it automatically reduces a
dual-layer DVD to the size required to fit on a "normal" DVD--/+r disk ,
writing the vob's as well. It can also edit the disk before this to remove
any parts of the disk that aren't wanted, if you only wanted the movie,
without the menu or any other part of the disk including additional
soundtracks.
Why would anyone want to convert a DVD quality movie and downgrade it to SVCD
standard?

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED]