On Sat, 8 Jan 2005 13:19, Greg Meyer wrote:
> On Saturday 08 January 2005 12:39 am, JR wrote:
> > Greg, thanks. I've just downloaded them and I ran the kde laptop battery
> > program. I tried standby, suspend and hibernate. The screen goes to
> > console with a message saying that it is performing the appropriate
> > action. But then it returns to the desktop.
>
> Couple things
>
> Is your swap partition big enough to handle a suspend operation, for
> instance, suspend won't work if you have 512MB memory and 384MB swap.
>
> Some laptops don't really follow the acpi standard, so suspend and stanby
> really don't work properly.
>
> cpufreqd is another app that works with acpi to slow down your processor
> when it is on battery or idle.
>
> > And the klaptopbattery is not shown in the
> > system tray, even though that option is checked in the config for the
> > application.
>
> Hmmm. It is working here.  Did you do service acpid start after installing
> the new packages?

Check in teh MCC/System/Services that they are set to run at boot.  You also
need to check dmesg after rebooting to check that acpi was enabled at boot,
if dmesg reports that it was disabled due to some reason, then using the
acpi=force option will make it load.

John.

Forget that new hard drive, save some lives instead, donate to the Red Cross:
  USA:  https://www.redcross.org/donate/donation-form.asp
  UK:  https://www.donate.bt.com/bt_form_dec.htm
  Oz:  https://www.redcross.org.au/Donations/onlineTsunamiDonations.asp
  NZ:  https://www.banqonit.com/proxypage.aspx?boiid=205