Good suggestion.  I prefer an external modem myself.
   I think I can navigate to kppp but just in case, since I am so
newbieish, how do I get there.
   I have an 8.2 boxed edition here waiting a new home with two hard
drives.  I got it in case I dld 10.0.
   It sounds to me that a console would be like a dos mode box in
windows.  I noticed It was a little difficult for me to read.  This
is an excellent second hand monitor with just one failing, It is just
a shade on the dark side at full brightness.  I did find though, that
I could highlight the info and read it quite easily.  Which leads to
another question.  Is there a way to change the colors used for the
console that could make reading have better contrast.  I believe
there is in windows , so it must be possible in linux.
   Thanks for the help so far.