Thanks for all the responses.  Well, stupidly, I tried (actually I succeeded)
in putting a stick of DDR ram in an SDRAM slot.  The system still worked
after I took it out though. This morning I disconnected all the drives, took
the ram out and cleaned the slots and replaced it and gave it an overall
cleaning with air.  There is some play in the motherboard, I pushed away from
the case- not sure what else to do about that. Tried starting it to see if
there was any difference.  It ran longer this time, maybe 10 seconds, then
there was a blue flash in the vicinity of the power supply and it cut off.
Oh well, I think this one is beyond me.

Thanks,
SW